On the 16th of January, Sven Laux released Alliteration for ARCH131. An eight track LP, made out of dub, micro, organic,dramatic, ambient structures ; signature of Sven Laux’s sound aesthetic. Today he opens up about his design ideas for this album, his music for film projects and future jams.
What is the literature & poetry connection to ‘Alliteration’?
– I used stylistic figures because, in the end, music, like poetry and literature, is brought to life by the interpretation of the reader/listener. Everyone is free to interpret on his own – and to create the story while listening. That’s why I used a neutral name, one which does not limit the imagination of the listener as he discovers the album for the first time.
What did you try to achieve through sketching 3 sorts of interludes namely the intro, interlude and outro?
– The ambient tracks are connections or bridges. When you listen to the album you will recognize that every track, except the ambient ones, has a rhythmic structure. In order to break out of these patterns, I put those three pieces on the album.
How’s your sound design career going?
– At the moment, I’m working on ‘The Year I Lost My Mind’, which will be released later this year. It’s my first feature film and I’m very happy to be part of the project. Furthermore, there are two short films that I’m currently doing the sound design for. Nevertheless, I hope I get also the chance to write music for films in the future.
You also did the sound design for the award-winning short film ‘Courage’ on Anika Films. Tell us more!
– It is the second film for which I did the whole audio post-production. I feel immensely proud that it’s getting a lot of attention lately – also overseas. Working together with the director, Jean-Luc Julien, was great! Although he had a clear vision of how the film should sound like, he gave me a lot of creative space.
What are your plans for the year ahead?
– I’m going to release two ambient albums this year, on Igloo Rec and Dronarivm, so maybe it’s time to start building a live act in 2017. Ambient and modern classical music are the genres I am into at the moment and I can imagine playing this kind of music live in front of an audience. Aside from that I’m planning to get a dog.